October 16, 2012

During our slow period (ie the dog days of summer) we started overhauling a vintage camping trailer. Catch up on the entire saga here, here, here, here, here and here (in that order).

It’s been a hot minute since we updated you on the trailer, which is a sure sign that we’re deep in fall wedding madness season. Naturally, actual progress on the trailer has also slowed down, but we’re still getting caught up here in blogland.

The last peek at the trailer left us with a good solid frame, but a very… open concept. We need some walls up in here.

We opted for hardboard wall panels, thanks to the moisture resistant prefinished coating (on one side) and flexibility of the panels. Flexibility was important because there are some definite curves on the interior. It was also key to getting these panels home. The Jeep can’t hold a full 4′ x 8′ sheet of anything… unless that thing can be slightly bent and shoved over the front seats. This, in turn, lowered the ceiling height so much that Aaron was forced to drive sans hat and with the seat cranked way back. Oh yeah, it was a sight.

 

 

We opted to run the white, moisture resistant side on the outside. Wood rot is NOT welcome here! The brown side will get a nice coat (or rather several coats) of white paint.

 

 

Aaron started in the back, forming the board to the curve. It needed a little help staying in place, hence the blocks. This method also meant we’d have to cut the side boards to match the curve, which is no easy task. We got close by using paper to outline the curve, then dry fitting and shaving where necessary.

 

 

 

So for the front, Aaron ran the side boards all the way out, notching out space for the frame and wiring.  The curved pieces ran on top of this, which was much easier.

 

 

 

 

 

Wall hanging was put on pause while Aaron built a new ledge for the the front wall. This will serve as a nice spot to charge various iTech and helps define the shape for the couch when the bed/couch is in couch position. Aaron’s original thought was to take a section from the butcher block counter top (you know, the one that necessitated the removal of the entire kitchenette), but the measurements weren’t quite working out. So he built his own, but gluing together 4 sections of wood and then sanding (and sanding and sanding) for a nice smooth finish.

 

 

 

Last section of wall: done! Lots of sanding and painting (and painting and painting) on the horizon.

 


Trackbacks:

Comments:

Leave a Comment